Any pest in your home is a problem. But ants are one of the worst home pests because they are able to seamlessly coordinate their plans to invade your home in search of food, shelter, or other needs. The first step to ridding your house of ants is to understand exactly how ant colonies communicate, and then you can employ the most effective treatment method.
Ant Colony Behavior
Despite having millions of individuals in one nest, an ant colony can easily coordinate nest maintenance, relocation, and feeding without any central planning. The “intelligent” behavior that ants use is developed through the interaction with other ants via various communication systems.
- A scouting ant leads another ant to food or other location, through a process called, recruitment.
- While foraging for food, ants lay down special chemicals, otherwise known as pheromones, to form a trail back to the nest. The other ants can then detect the pheromone trail with their antennae and follow the path depending on the intensity of the scent. Pheromone trails are helpful in the exploration of new terrain and food supplies.
- Similar to pheromones, the poison gland is used as a chemical signal for other ants in order to coordinate quick attacks on large prey. The released poison induces aggressiveness among the ants.
The best way to keep ants out of your house is to keep them from being there in the first place. To prevent ants from invading your house, keep your house clean, sweep after meals, cover all foods, never leave dirty dishes in the sink, store trash and recycling cans away from outer walls, and do not allow moisture to accommodate on the counters. Sometimes, even the cleanest house still attracts ants simply because it is situated on or near an ant colony. Thankfully, there are many at home options available to rid your house of ants.
– This slow acting poison is consumed by the foraging ants. Upon return to the colony, these ants share the bait with the rest of the nest, slowly killing the worker ants in two to three days.
– For instant ant removal, contact killers instantly kill any ant it touches. Additionally, the residual spray continues to repel ants for up to 12 weeks. This treatment is recommended for use in non-food contacting spots, cracks or crevices throughout your home.
Ant Prevention Products
– Similar to contact killers, ant prevention products kill on contact and provide a long-lasting repellency. These products are recommended for use as an outdoor perimeter spray.
At home ant treatments sometimes do not work because different ant species are able to smell and detect certain insecticides, and then avoid them. To prevent this from happening, the specific species of ant infecting your home must be identified. Professional ant management companies, such as IPM Pest & Termite Management, are able to correctly identify the species of ant in your home. Then, they use the most effective chemical and tool for that species to rid the ants from your house. If you suspect that you have an ant infestation in your home, do not hesitate to call our professionals at IPM Pest & Termite Management. We have the right tools and pesticides for pest control in Lexington, KY and the surrounding areas.
Because of the risks and potential costs of pest infestation, it is necessary to require an inspection for both wood destroying insects and pests before you finalize the purchase of your new real estate. Fortunately, IPM Pest & Termite is here to help ensure that your next real estate purchase is free of termites and pests. Choosing IPM means that you have a company of trained professionals with your best interest in mind. IPM uses only licensed professionals to perform these inspections. Wood Destroying Insect Reports vary in service and technical expertise from company to company. At IPM we pride ourselves on giving extremely thorough inspections and backing it up with our superior service.
IPM Pest & Termite strives to provide customers with quality services. A complete and thorough inspection is done on the structure to determine current and past problems. The inspection is also done to identify any signs of previous treatments. The service does not stop when the inspection is done. IPM Pest & Termite will provide a professional typed report in a timely manner. We are available for questions and can be reached over the phone or e-mail. Completed reports can be e-mailed to the person requesting the inspection, or sent to the appropriate agent or mortgage company. Our goal is to provide you with a non-biased report that provides valuable information in your home buying decision.
Call IPM if you don't like bugs and you want to keep them out.
We offer a variety of ongoing maintenance programs for your home and business. We offer long-term solutions to keep you pest free; not just quick "fixes". Contact us today for a no-obligation quote. You'll be happy you did! Our professional pest control team will come out and get started right away.